[CQ-Contest] Traveling with computer

Robert Naumann n5nj at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 15 06:38:19 EST 1998

These equipment travelling threads are very interesting.

Mike - NO6X - why not bring a laptop ?  Unless you're concerned with being
able to use a DVP ?  Everyone travelling carries a laptop and they are
virtually ignored at airports except for certain militant security folks
that demand to see it "light up" as Trey described.

For carrying a rig, in '95, I tried just hand carrying my TS940 (heavy and
unwieldy) with bubble pack over the front panel and placed in the overhead
and had no trouble.  The next time (96), after remembering the feeling of my
shoulder after horsing it around all over San Juan airport, I decided to
check it as baggage in the original Kenwood box.  Worked OK, no problem
getting into Antigua, but the undesirable stuff hit the whirling blades in
San Juan at U.S. customs there.  It seems that the "potted plant syndrome"
occurs there as well as in Miami and was precipitated by the attention given
the cardboard Kenwood box.  The customs person there was certain that I was
in Antigua doing something for monetary gain with all the equipment that I
was carrying.  She made me open everything and remove everything including
the last week's worth of dirty laundry from my suitcase, my "junk box" suit
case (full of parts, connectors, cables etc etc) and the 940, and my laptop
computer.  This ordeal took almost an hour.  She was still demanding that I
show her the money I made working Antigua as I only had about $35 with me.
About this time, her supervisor came over to see what the fuss was.  He
looked over all my stuff laid out and said "Radioaficianado ?"  I responded
"Si!"  He then spoke in muy rapido Espanol to her and she walked away.  He
told me in English that his brother is KP4??* and he apologized for the
delay.

Last year (97) I did not bring my 940 with me, but noticed that Tony, N2TK
had brought his IC751A in his carry-on bag with wheels and he told me that
he had no problem whatsoever.  This lack of trouble has compelled me to look
into either a 751A with internal switching supply or an 850 for dxpedition
purposes.  This time through San Juan with all normal looking, touristy
luggage, I was not accosted and was not questioned at all.

Phil (N6ZZ) and Trey (N5KO) know what they're talking about and being
inconspicuous is the key.

73,
Bob N5NJ

Robert E. Naumann