[CQ-Contest] Re: KACHINA/PC solution

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 15 12:05:12 EST 1998

Doug KR2Q makes a good point.  The Kachina could be connected to a lap top
and just look like additional components.  In looking at the ads it does
look like there is one piece that plugs into a hard disk slot and one that
stands alone.  The question would be... is it possible to hook it up to a
laptop?  Certainly would not want to travel with a desk top or would
continue to use my old IC-740 with internal PS.  How about it Kachina????

Another possibility is the Patcomm 16000.  This transceiver is both a
transceiver and computer.  Comes (finally) with a keyboard.  One guy I know
has one and has a cover and handle for the front.  They have advertised in
CQ and I know three who have them.  This model has finally gotten out the
birdies/images and does as advertised (send/receive CW, RTTY) and works on
SSB with fairly decent audio.  Main shortcoming is small display.  Currently
you can only get a bigger dispaly with a dumb RS232 device such as an old
terminal or some composite monitors.  Need better integration with small lap
top.  AES is the main distributor and its $500 less than Kachina.

73, Dave K4JRB

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com