[CQ-Contest] Radio travel / Customs hints (long)

AA4NC AA4NC at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 13:10:05 EST 1998

If you think it's bad travelling with radios and dealing with the lovely
customs officials on commercial jets, those of us who fly private planes
across international borders have it worse! I've done this several times, as
well as the commercial route, and there's no comparison. Our government is
already convinced that everyone that flies south in a private plane is coming
back with a load of drugs, so the task is to convince the friendly folks that
you are one of the "good guys". This is no easy feat for me since I fit the
standard profile for a smuggler (long hair, beady eyes, often travelling
alone, carrying lots of wierd bags, in a hurry, etc.) I have to prove to them
that I am not carrying drugs - this ranges from a quick search of all of the
bags (they WILL open all of them) up to and including ripping seats and
upholstery out of your plane.
This done, they move on to the reason why you have all of this radio gear.
Remember that in their training they see that their smuggling targets
sometimes use HF radios to coordinate shipments, so then they go back out and
search and whack on your plane some more!!

I'm far from the authority, but with 1-3 trips/year carrying radio equipment
out of the US since 1981, I've come up with some suggestions for minimizing
radio travel hassle:
(This was adapted from an airplane magazine article on international travel
that I wrote.)

1. Carrying a serialized list of equipment may help, but is no guarantee.
Sometimes this backfires if they want to take the time to actually match them
up with your carefully packed equipment. Don't offer this up unless they start
hassling you, and you think it will help your case.

2. Always go to the most crowded/busiest looking customs agent  or security
checkpoint if you have a choice. A favorite tactic is to spot some local that
is bringing in a TV set, computer, or some other large obvious item that you
know the customs agent will hassle him about. Often you will be waved on
without a look or question about your gear.

3. Pack your radio and gear in normal looking suitcases if at all possible.
Large Anvil type road cases give the look of "professional" equipment. They
will tab you someone who is there to make untaxed money on a "vacation" visa.

4. If you carry in radios by hand, and the agent starts to look funny at it,
just tell him it is a ham radio and you are here for an international
competition. Assure him that this will all come out with you when you leave in
a week or so. He probably won't hassle you since he will think that his
government is in some way aware of, or sponsoring the competition. The last
thing he wants is an official "competitor" complaining to higher-ups in the
government about problems at the airport.

5. Be able to power up any hand-carried electronic items. Bless their hearts,
the FAA and airport security officials have decided that in order to assure
that no one comes through security checkpoints with a bomb disguised as a
radio or computer, they will now ask you to power up the item so that their
"experts" can evaluate it.
Never mind that they don't know an FT1000 from an FT-hole in the ground, they
will ask you to power it up. When it lights up, this will no doubt assure them
that it is not a bomb, and you will be on your merry way. (Unless your name is
Kasczyinski, and you have cleverly replaced the CW filter in the radio with a
wad of C4!!). In case you are asked to do this, have the power supply and AC
cable handy. If you are unable to power it up or talk your way out of it, they
can sieze the radio for more inspections. Try tactic #2 above to minimize the
chances of having this hassle occur.

6. Be prepared to post 100% bond for your equipment. I've heard of expeditions
ruined because of this one. Some people refuse to do it, but it can really
help.  In some countries, you will be required to pay the normal customs duty
up-front, with the money being refunded when you leave. The amount of duty can
range up to 100% of the value of the item. If this is the case, go ahead and
do it. It will save you a great deal of time and aggravation. Assign low, but
believable values to your equipment. They will not question the value of $600
for your FT1000, but they may not go for a low value for your laptop computer.
Chances are they know exactly what that's worth. You MAY be able to talk them
down on the percentage they require, but this will add to the time and hassle
factor, as you will probably have to talk to one or more supervisors before
this will be approved. Be aware that this money must be paid in cash or
traveler's checks - they DON'T take American Express! Insist on detailed
receipts with the requisite rubber stamps, and you should have no problems
getting your money back when you leave. I've found this to be a great form of
"insurance" that guarantees that the equipment will come through. It's like a
bribe, only better - you get the money back!

7. When returning back to the US, on the back of the little customs form
always declare that you bought some tourist type items (T shirts, souveniers,
etc.). Unless you declare hundreds of $ of stuff, you won't be charged
anything. This will show the customs agent that you are an honest (non-
smuggling) type that has been on a normal vacation and there is no need to
search your bags at all. Smile and act friendly to the nice agent (we
southerners have no problem with this). If he asks your trips' purpose,
declare it was a vacation. If he asks why you have electronic gear, tell him
about the international competition you just participated in (in as much
detail as he can stand to hear). Chances are, he will have spent as much time
as his guidelines say he should with you, and he won't go through the dirty
underwear in your suitcase.

8. There is no substitute for having a local resident waiting for you at the
airport.
This is especially true if the local knows the airport officials.
This was never more clear for me than once in Haiti. The local officials
didn't like us and our gear to the tune of putting us in a small room with
some guys with machine guns! HH2MC arrived on the scene, and it was suddenly
as if the soldiers got religion - they put down the guns to carry the gear out
of the airport for us!

9. Have all of your paperwork in hand, filled out in advance. This includes
licenses, immigration forms, inward customs declarations, etc. Have originals
or good photocopies. If you are travelling via private plane, have the
required forms filled out in triplicate. FAXed documents of any type will
probably cause problems. Get a passport if you don't already have one. It
carries a lot more weight than a driver's license or birth certificate (for
the few countries that allow them as substitutes).

10. Don't be an "Ugly American".
Be friendly, cooperative and don't whine because this isn't the way they do it
in Jersey (like the ladies that demanded a refund because there was a small
earthquake on the island while they were there). No matter where you are, you
are on someone else's turf, and it's their ball and their rules, no matter how
ridiculous they sound to you. Remember that it's all a game, and the name of
the game is to get yourself and your equipment to the operating QTH as quickly
as possible so the fun can begin. Arm yourself with as much knowledge
beforehand about the rules and what to expect from those who have done it
before you.

Happy travels - I'll be applying these tips as I aviate to Middle Caicos to
operate as VP5NC in the ARRL DX Phone contest.
Remember - Gub'mint peoples is our friends!!

73,

Will AA4NC
W4MR - Confederate Contest Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com