[CQ-Contest] Two-Radio Debate

W1HIJ-Bill w1hij at contesting.com
Sat Jan 24 10:02:21 EST 1998

Hi Fred,

Just a quick comment from the guy who got this whole thing re 2 radios
started (again!) a few days ago ...

As usual, your thoughtfulness and insights are right on target... That's one
of the reasons I enjoy your posts so much. I thought your comment about
newcomers was particularly good

The one thing that bothers me about the direction that the thread took is
that I never intended it to be a cry for multiple classes in order for me to
have an opportunity to win... rather it was a suggestion that there might be
some value in indicating which stations are using what kind of general
facilities (like 2 radios versus one) so that when contemplating results, I
have a better idea of how I did relative to those people I consider my
"real" competition.

For example, I have my own personal definition of my "class" for ARRL
sponsored contests which is low power and stations in a set of ARRL sections
that surround my QTH. When results are published I do my own tabulation and
on that basis get a sense of whether or not I did fairly well, very well or
poorly. (This by the way, is one of the advantages of having number of hours
operated be published).

I come back to the statement I made in one of my posts about the analogy
with sailboat racing where one receives pleasure in knowing not only how one
did relative to the fleet as a whole, but also in relation to boats in one's
own class (with which one is presumably "more" competitive). After all, if
I'm racing a 30 foot sloop, I don't consider my competition to be the 60
foot Ultra-light "sleds". And in order to do it, one has to know the
"rating" of the boats in question. Seems to me the analogy holds up pretty well.

Thanks for your time and thoughfulness...

73, Bill
W1HIJ (/6)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com