[CQ-Contest] Windows contesting logging

Michael Dinkelman mwdink at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 28 07:30:31 EST 1998

	I've ben watching this debate for a while. I find it interesting.
I write (mostly embedded) software for a living and have written
(Commodore and DOS based) logging software. I have "played" with
writing Windows software and, believe me, it's no picnic. I have a deep
respect for those who have created useful Ham related software under
the Win O/S. The learning curve is steep and the environment is not
stable with changing API's, the influx of Active X, COM, and
distributed components. Plus there are too many flavors (Win31, Win95,
Win98, NT) and one compiled program, unless very simple, will not cover
all of them. Then... what are you gonna write it in? VC++, VB, Delphi?
Each have big learning curves that one does not invest in lightly.

	My personal solution is the same one the many Hams take on the
radio side. Instead of two radios, I have two computers (three at work,
Win31, Win95, and NT). I use the right tool to do the right job. Frankly,
for logging, I care more about RFI than the operating system. Sure, it would
be nice, in theory, to run Ratlog, GeoClock, MiniProp, my browser, and heck
knows what else strikes me at the moment. But if I'm running those programs,
I'm not contesting very seriously as that should be taking all of my
attention.
Instead, I find it better to have the "second rig" running across
the room - maybe a gray line program. It's nothing to get up (gotta stretch
anyway) during a long CQ and run MiniProp if needed.

	Granted, not everyone can afford extra radio's OR extra computers. I
expect those are not the people in this debate. Even then, computers
able to run DOS logging programs are just about give-away items. (Ever try to
give away a 286/386? You almost have to pay someone to take it away.) I
have one in the garage leftover from my last upgrade and another "very fine"
386 motherboard that I have some strange attachment too. (I've seen similar
attachments to radio's :>) I bet some of our friends in other countries would
love some of this stuff if we could get it too them and would be estatic to
run DOS.

	Use the right tool for the right job is my current solution.
Regular Logging programs for Win systems already exist and a contest
logger does too. (I bought Writelog a couple years ago which was a
great effort but I stil prefer Ratlog for now.) As time goes on,
programs like TR, CT, NA will get ported - obviously Tree is already
playing with Delphi - it's a natural evolution. Let's just hope we
like what we get.

	I can see it now... in ten years, there will be this group that will
be expounding the software equivalent of today's AMers and those running
with tube equipment. Instead of "Real radios glow in the dark" it will be
"Real computers have a C: prompt."

Best to all
Dink

Michael Dinkelman