[CQ-Contest] Sending callsigns

Ed Gray W0SD w0sd at rapidnet.com
Fri Jul 17 09:41:53 EDT 1998

About 25 years ago I got a "PINK" slip from the FCC for not giving the DX
call in a DX contest.  Not to long after that the FCC relaxed that
requirement by saying one could call just using your own call but at some
point you were still to give the DX station call.  About this same time a
number of people were also cited checking into traffic nets for not giving
the net controls call or the FCC said giving the net Identifier was OK such
as "SD NET".  The above relaxation of the rules also covered this situation
so you can now check into the "SD NET" by just giving your call.

I have not researched it in recent years whether you have to give the other
stations call at sometime during the qso but I always try to do so.  In
contesting or even DXing the other station can give your call so you know
he is working you so as you say you would not have to give his call to know
he is working you.  One advantage of giving the call is to prevent other
people on the frequency from thinking they worked you when in fact you were
working someone else.  Then later you try and work this other station who
thinks he worked you and he will tell you that you are a dupe.

Todd(WD0T) who operates here and I have made the decision we are going to
give the other stations call at some point as per your sample exchange and
if we can't win doing it that way then we can't win!  I think most
contesters who have been around awhile give the other stations call at
least once.

Working a DXpedition is probably where the other stations call never gets
said the most and being split frequency and them saying your call certainly
makes it a qso.  I think the complaint arises from the fact that one could
supposedly not copy the other station well enough to copy their call but
could get the report but you have to hear your call to know it is your
report so I don't see this as a very valid compliant.  In a DX net or
moderated situation the other stations call is likely known.

The other tradition is MS procedure where both calls are given and copied.
I'm sure a lot of both calls need to be given idea comes from that
tradition.  The tradition was standarized by the central states vhf society
many years ago and is just that a tradtion, self policing if you want to
call it that but not an iron clad rule but for me personally I have adopted
it and stick to it in MS.

If I were to get on the soapbox about something in regards to call signs it
would be that people need to give calls with phonetics.  To me this causes
a lot more busted contest exchanges or DX contacts not being good because
of a wrong call sign being logged.  We have accents within the US and we
have foreign accents and a lot of letters with even great ssb audio sound
very, very much alike.  For example last year in the 10 meter contest some
of my southern friends who gave calls like WD4VBE would give me their call
once with no phonetics and they would give me my call three times with
phonetics.  Guess what I know my call but using phonetics on my call is
"GREAT" so I know you have me logged correctly.  They might not have W0SD
they might have W0SE, W0SV, W0ST, W0SB or something else.

So should we require eveyone give their call phonetically? NO but it makes
good sense to do so!  Should both calls have to be given back to back in
the exchange?NO but it makes good sense to give the other stations call
some place in the exchange.

73, Ed-W0SD

11:17 AM 7/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>So - are there people who believe the following isn't a QSO?
>
><k7rat> CQ TEST K7RAT K7RAT TEST
><ja1abc> JA1ABC
><k7rat> JA1ABC 5NN ORE
><ja1abc> 5NN 25
><k7rat> TU
>
>This is pretty standard operating procedure.  I doubt any contest rule
>written would intend to disallow a QSO like this (except for the Sprints
>which clearly state that both calls must be sent in the exchange).
>
>If there is an FCC law requiring me to send the call of the DX station,
>I believe I have done that.  Maybe not exactly at the end, but they
>can tell who I am talking to.
>
>However, if I am in S&P mode, I might not send the call.  I might
>only send "K7RAT" and then "5NN ORE".  It could be very hard to
>say who it was I was talking to if I couldn't hear the DX station.
>
>Even if the FCC rules say I need to send both calls, I doubt that
>would ever become standard practice during contests.  This is how it
>has been done for more than 30 years, and I have never heard of anyone
>getting a pink slip because of it.
>
>73 Tree N6TR
>tree at contesting.com
>

>--