[CQ-Contest] INNOVATIVE IDEA??

Kenneth Earl Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 31 14:32:29 EDT 1998

    This would be interesting, but not entirely meaningful.  If the scoring
system changes, most contesters would probably re-evaluate their strategies
and adapt to maximize their scores, and such an analysis of past logs
would not reveal those implications.

Thus spoke Milt Jensen:

> Why wait.  The logs are available for past contests.  Just take a set of
> them and apply the proposed scoring routine.  Surely someone out there
> has the time to do this exercise and report back.  Good luck es 73 de
> 						   Milt, N5IA
>
> Scot Herrick wrote:
> >
> > Rather than talk about all of the different scoring ideas, why can't we have
> > a "simulated" contest within the contest. In short, report on the current
> > scoring structure, but have an alternative scoring fit an agreed-upon format
> > for the simulation.
> >
> > Thus, work and report the contest as traditional, then also report it with
> > "0 points in the own country, 3 points outside" and see what the effect
> > would be on the overall results. You could probably get a very good idea of
> > the differences the format makes with reporting from 200 or so stations. A
> > worthwhile - and then will come the controversy - experiment.
> >
> > CU...Scot, K9JY
> >

> --
> Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com