[CQ-Contest] Has the contest ended yet?

Dick Dievendorff dieven at email.msn.com
Mon Jun 29 08:38:05 EDT 1998

It seems that someone ought to at least argue the alternative.....

Before computers, people kept handwritten logs, multiplier checklists, and
dupe sheets.  Handwriting quality varies, particularly when one is hurried.
Was it not common practice to rewrite the log after the contest?

If that's permitted under the rules (and I would argue that it needs to be
permitted), then the contest isn't over until the log is mailed.

I personally have never taken the time to go through the entire contest
again with a tape recording.  But I have compared QSOs with the same station
to look for (and correct) busted exchanges, and I have used CT's zone report
to help me find JAs that somehow got logged as zone 05.   I fix typos and
obvious scoring errors, but I've not resorted to callbook lookups or use of
any database other than the one in my head. That is permitted under my
reading of the rules. But the rules don't prohibit listening to a tape or
using any database available and amending the log after the fact.

If the contest is over immediately after the contest, then the contest rules
should say that.  Since they don't, then log "corrections" are permitted
under the rules.  Note that I mean by "corrections" that the log should
contain the QSOs actually made, not that the log should contain entries that
do not reflect actual contacts made.

John can CHOOSE to submit the log without review.  John can assume any
additional handicaps he pleases to be in the "spirit of the contest".

The rules actually don't require that the log be generated during the
contest period at all.

I remember well the reaction of the WRTC-96 contestants when a "no log
alteration" rule was announced.  It quickly was amended to give the
operators a few minutes (not very many minutes) to apply corrections that
they'd noted during the contest.  So I know I'm not totally alone in the
desire to be able to amend (slightly) a log after the contest.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com