[CQ-Contest] Re: JA's get more power

Dale L. Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sun Mar 1 17:32:11 EST 1998

>If activity is anywhere near the last few cycles than JA runs on
10, 15, and
>20 will be great.  Runs are hard on 40 SSB from SE USA as the LP
gang are
>still too weak..but maybe they will upgrade to 3rd class and run
50W (at
>least on CW).

I looked again at the W5RRR log  and our participation in the
1998 School Club Roundup contest, Feb 9-14.  While it was not a
high level, high interest contest, and DX (or domestic) interest
in the contest was not great, the last couple of hours of the
contest (2200Z-0100Z, Friday evening CST) may be a harbinger of
things to come with respect to JA activity during the sunspot
cycle max...at least, I would like to think so.

I worked the first JA of the afternoon at 2232Z.  By 2259, I had
worked 9 JA's out of 22 total QSO's.  2300-0000Z gave me 45 more
JA's out of 66 QSO's--those 21 consisted of stateside, VE, YC0,
KH2, KH6, AL7, DU, and ZP's.  0000-0043Z netted 18 more JA's with
some more (28) KH6, KL7, VE, VK and stateside QSO's.

This was on 15m, running about 500 watts to a Cushcraft 4-element
monobander at 90'.  The JA's for the most part had good signals;
some very strong, some very weak, but mostly 57-58 copy.

73,
Dale, kg5u
kg5u at hal-pc.org

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com