[CQ-Contest] More - Is "Log /QRP" part of callsign???

Dale Jones K5MM ddjones at nas.com
Thu Mar 5 08:22:34 EST 1998

 Hello Tom:
 Thanks very much for the response on this "call sign" issue from a
 European point of view.  When Jim asked the original question which
 I responded to, his querry was in effect "Am I REQUIRED to log that
 /QRP -- or whateve appendage", to which I responded NO, he is NOT
 required to log that to conclude a legitimate QSO.

 A different issue is "MAY he log that appendage"....and that answer
 to that question would no doubt be YES -- he MAY indeed include it
 in his log, if he so desires.

 In the USA, our FCC rules do not require it, but the governing
 authority is quite liberal on this issue and thus they do not care
 much, one way or the other, if hams choose to send that appendage,
 irrespective of what the International Law requires or prevents.

 It's not a big deal over here, but whe Jim asked the question about
 a REQUIREMENT for log such information, that swayed the response toward
 the NO answer.

 In the USA, our governing authority, the FCC, does not require us to
 sign /m or even /different call sign district.  In years past, I
 would have been required to sign my own call sign as  K5MM/7 since
 I now live in the 7th call sign district.  That /7 is no longer
 a requirement country-wide, although many fellows choose to do so,
 to indicate a regional location so that the responding station will
 have a better sense of where to point a beam antenna.

 Oh well.....onward.  Thanks again for your very thorough reply!!
 73
 Dale  K7MM

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com