[CQ-Contest] The QSOs that weren't

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 7 09:35:08 EST 1998

Hi all.

Danny's scenarios prompted me to dig into the rules.

The answer, I believe, lies somewhat deeper than the usual abridged rules
that appear from time to time. In the General Rules for all ARRL
Contests, ARRL states that call signs must be sent, received,
acknowledged and logged properly by EACH station for a complete QSO. (I
must send mine, I must send yours and vice-versa.)

Presumably, that means that the neither fictitious Q counts. DX0DX
neither acknowledges nor sends the other station's call AND W6XXX does
not acknowledge DX0DX, while XX0XX does acknowledge W6XXX, but W6XXX does
not acknowledge XX0XX.

While it may appear redundant to acknowledge the call of a station in a
pileup, it IS there in black and white. (Dec. 1997 QST, p.100, sect. 3.2)

Comments?

73, kelly
ve4xt

Danny Eskanazi, K7SS wrote:

DX0DX and another guy XX0XX are running Ws. Its the ARRL test
and 15 is wide open to the west coast.

Scene One:

"DX0DX... contest"
(W6 garbled...)
"W6.. 59 kilowatt"
(roger its W6XXX 59 Cal)
"DX0DX..contest"

Scene Two:

"XX0XX...contest"
(W6 garbled...)
"W6.. 59 kilowatt"
(roger its W6XXX 59 Cal)
"W6XXX ok..
...XX0XX..contest"

Spent a long time listening at the start of the contest Friday nite, had
a huge traffic jam while driving home with lots of listening time in the
mobile. I saw BOTH styles being practiced.

Its obvious that these guys are not competing on the same field with each
other.

XX0XX is spending one more 'over' in confirming the call, and DX0DX is
just letting the W6XXX assume that he got the call right, and is
shortcutting the process of making a QSO. In fact, is he even MAKING a
contest exchange?? He NEVER gives the callsign of the station he is
working!

Given all else being equal, DX0DX is going to save ALOT of time in his
exchange, especially over 48 hours.

A rather glaring inequity...?

comments??

73 de Danny K7SS