[CQ-Contest] Frequency theft

T A RUSSELL n4kg at juno.com
Wed Mar 11 07:01:20 EST 1998

N4KG   comments   intersperced  in  text -

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998  Doug Smith (W9WI/4) <desmith at Telalink.Net> writes:

>I see ON4UN and another DX operator noted in the SSB contest something
>that bothered me in the CW one two weeks ago.  To wit, the blatant theft
of
>run frequencies.
>
>snip<
>
>But in the CW test, on at least three occasions at least 3 hours after
>sunrise (i.e., the band was fully open at both locations) a LOUD East
>Coast station would land dead on a run frequency I'd been using for at
least
>10 minutes (in one case, 2 hours) and could not be persuaded to leave.
>After going 5 minutes without a QSO (not for lack of DX callers -- but I

>just couldn't copy the DX callers through the wall of East Coast sound)
>would have to go elsewhere.  And every time I would try my "QRL?" on a
>frequency that happened to be occupied by an East Coast station (i.e.,
all of
>them<g>) I would receive an immediate answer.  That tells me I was being
heard,
>and heard well, on the coast.  (and K4VX is no QRP wimp-station...)  I
can
>only think of one possible explanation: these East Coast stations
couldn't
>find an open run frequency, so they found one in use by a W0, figuring
they
>could copy the DX through the western station.  In other words, they
>*intentionally* ran me off.

	YEP, been there.  During a previous low sunspot cycle
	when the only band that was open in the afternoon was
	20M and it was chock full, every 500 Hz was occupied,
	I was running JA's when a Bad Apple from W2 landed
	on top of me and proceeded to run Europeans.  Since
	I was hearing him quite well (covering the JA's) I presumed
	he could hear me but ignored my request that he find
	another frequency.  It left a permanent impression.  (N4KG)

	Another time, after 3 HOURS of running Europe on 20M
	CW one morning,  a VO1 wanted to show me he could take
	over my run frequency at will. After several protests,
	I moved to 15M.  (N4KG)

>For the W1/W2/W3 ops, it worked.  I wonder what consequences it's
>having for contesting?:

	GOOD   QUESTION !
	Have you heard any serious contest activity from W6 lately?
	Even all the BIG  W5 superstations are quiet now.  (N4KG)

>1.      How many stations west of the Appalachians don't bother with a
>serious effort in a DX contest  because of a lack of sustained rate and
the
>knowledge they can't run for more than 10-20 minutes  at a time without
>losing their frequency?  (this is why I wasn't a serious entrant in the
SSB test)

>2.      Have you ever been frustrated to hear a badly-needed multiplier
>working S&P & you can't find an  open frequency to call CQ & attract his
attention?  (VY1JA?)

	Two stories from this past weekend in the ARRL  SSB  DX.

	I was doing S&P on 20M SSB in the mid afternood, beaming
	east.  Heard  a VK coming longpath and dumped in my call.
	N2NT returned: "VKxxx  someone else was calling. You are 59
	New Jersey."  Then "Roger you are 59 400", followed by N2NT:
	"Would you like to work him?".   N4KG:  "Yes,  VKxxx N4KG
	59 Alabama.  VKxxx "Roger N4KG,  you are 59 400." N4KG:
	"Roger thanks, and thanks Andy."     CQ  Contest  N2NT.
	Class act.

	Heard ZL2RR and dumped in my call.  Then,
	"ZL2RR  K5ZD  59 MA".....RR,  59 400, followed by
	"The frequency is in use.  CQ  Contest  K5ZD."  No takers.
	(Randy, where did you find this street fighter?)   ....(N4KG)

746-5205				72777.3143 at compuserve.com.xxx

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com