[CQ-Contest] ARRL SSB ramblings

Ric Painter wo4o at juno.com
Wed Mar 11 11:03:32 EST 1998

Jim, N9JF said,
>Funniest things heard this weekend:

Scene 1:

DX: "CQ contest...DX#DX"
me: "November Nine Juliet Foxtrot"
DX: "November Nine Juliet Foxtrot...five nine Kilowatt"
me: "Thanks, you're five nine Illiois"
DX: "Okay, correction, November Eight Juliet Foxtrot"
  [HUH?}
[weakly, via backscatter]:
N8JF:  "Thanks"
DX: "QRZed"
me:  "November NINE Juliet Foxtrot"
DX: "Okay, November Nine Juliet Foxtrot...five nine Kilowatt"
me:  "Yeah, I'm here too.  You're five nine Illinois"
DX:  "QSL.  Okay, are there any other Juliet Foxtrots"?
[K9JF, where are you when we need you?]

Scene 2:

[40 meters...transmitting on 7060]
JA1...: "CQ USA listening 7250"

[simultaneously...transmitting on 7250]
K1..: "CQ Japan, listening 7060"

>I didn't stay around to see how this one played out....

- ... -

Personally I got a real kick out of hearing the enthusiasm from
the op in Guantanamo Bay @ KG4GC on 15m with his Sunday
morning shouts between "CQ Contest" of "Hallelujah, Sister" and
"Amen, Brother"!  Guess he didn't miss church afterall. . .

- ... -

On another note, thanks to V73UX for indulging me when I broke
into his pileup on 15m to tell him 10m was open to the Pacific and
Wo4o and asking him to QSY.  Soonafter that he found me CQing
on 10m and we made the Q (and new M for me; maybe him, too?)!

73 Ric Wo4o
wo4o at juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com