[CQ-Contest] 10 mtr ant/stacking prob/questions

Steve Bookout steve at 1bigred.com
Wed Mar 11 16:55:05 EST 1998

Hello all,

Back before CQWW I asked about the problem I was having with the SWR of my
Hygain 105 ten meter antenna.   The SWR was high in the CW part of the band
once it was put into position on the tower.  It is about 10 feet above my
top home brew 5 element 15.  The consensus was the 15 meter directors were
looking like 10 meter reflectors.

It was pulled down (again) and measurements checked 2 additional times
independently by 2 other people.  (These were the CW optimized dimensions
off Hygains home page.)  Hanging on the side of the tower, pointing up,
everything was OK.

We 'lived' with it and did fine in the CQWW on ten working more stations on
10 than any other M/S I know of.  So, the antenna did work.

Now, I am planning to add 2 more identical antennas at 30 and 60 feet to
compliment this one at 90 feet.

This antenna shows a fine SWR, in it's current environment, at 28500.

My question is due to my ignorance.

It is my understanding that in order to wind up with an effective stack,
the antennas must be identical.

Since this current antenna seems to be influenced by the 15 yagi, what will
this do if I stack it with antennas NOT subject to this influence?

Should I try to get the SWR better matched to make it have the same
impedance as the others (assuming they will be OK)
Or, is what I'm looking for purely a function of the physical design of the
antenna, regardless of what the standing wave winds up to be.

I ask for your opinions.  This seems like a 'real world' problem, which
some of you should have experienced before.

I would rather benefit from your learned experiences than repeat your
mistakes.

73 de Steve, NJ4F
Steve Bookout, NJ4F
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.erols.com/pvander

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com