[CQ-Contest] GO subliminal

Dale L. Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Thu Mar 12 00:20:03 EST 1998

------
>Scott
>  I try to use my complete call in contests, but having a 2x3
cal it is
>hard if not impossible to get my call in befire the CQing
satation
>starts calling CO again. Sometimes if I say my call as fast as I
can

>with no phonetics) I can just get it in but not allways. I
listen to see
>what can of calls he is answering, if he is coming back to calls
that
>use just the last 2 letters then I do the same "Juliet Xray" if
he
>answers me then I send my whole call phoneticly and keep at it
till he
>gets it right. Sometimes I have to use Kilo Charlie 5 Alpha
Japan Xray
>to get the J across.
> I just follow the rest of the pile up to get through. Some of
these big
>guns or experience contesters are use to working 1x2 and 1x3
calls and
>they don't give some of us newer guys with the longer calls time
to get
>it done right so I have to do what works. But I always make sure
they
>get the call right before I give them my exchange.
>  I don't mean to flame anyone but it seems that some get so
caught up
>in run rates that they keep trying to go faster and faster to
get the
>rate up, and I can understand that but it is like running 45+
wpm on cw,
>not all can work at that speed. I not suggesting you slow down
your rate
>but leave a extra second or 2 between CQ's and or QRZ's for
those of us
>with the longer calls to get our call signs in.
>73
>KC5AJX

The fact that you have a 2x3 shouldn't keep you from working
stations.  There may be other factors at work that prevent you
from getting your full call out before the station is calling
someone else; poor signal, good signal in with BIG signals, poor
audio quality; off frequency; all sorts of things.  If they are
like me and you are using two letters, I'm not going to work you.
I will always work to copy a complete callsign and ignore the two
letter station.

As for waiting an extra second or two, it sounds like you feel
like you are purposely being cut off by the running station.
Absurd.  There is no one who, when running, is going to take time
to do something like that.  If you are 'cut off' it is because
the run station has copied the callsign of another station.  When
he says QRZ, call him again.
The length of your callsign has nothing to do with you being cut
off.

N5KO had a two by three (WN4KKN--up until about a year ago!),
K5RC had a two by three (WA5LES and others), K7BV had a two by
three (KA5CHW), and beaucoup others had two by threes (me
included, WA5WFP).  I think I can say with confidence that that
none ever consistently used two letters to get through a pileup.
I know the others I listed had done exceedingly well in spite of
the length of their callsigns.

I also think you may find (if not hear from others) that the use
of two letters in fact lengthens the QSO time--I used to
acknowledge the two letter stations. There have been a number of
times a station who I acknowledged with his two letters never
gave me his full callsign and after calling him asking for his
call and hearing nothing (he moved already!) all I could say at
the end was that he was not in the log.

I also can't tell you how many times I have sat on the better end
of a pile-up at W5RRR and just listened to the two-letter calls
being thrown at me.  I've learned to ignore them.  I refuse to
answer them.  Their use of the two letters tell me they don't
think I have the ability to copy a complete callsign.  They are
also telling me that they don't have the sense to realize that I
CAN copy a complete callsign even when faced with my performance
of working station after station who called with full calls.  Two
letter users deserve to not be worked.

After about fifteen or twenty minutes of listening to a couple of
them throw their two-letters out at me a couple of weeks ago in
the School Club Roundup, I addressed both with their resepective
two letters telling them they had exceeded the 10 minute rule
without properly identifying, then I said QRZ and worked other
stations.

Even when I ask for full callsigns only, there are still some
calling with two letters....

Dale, kg5u

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com