[CQ-Contest] Contest ethics and packetclusters

David Clemons dave at egh.com
Thu May 21 15:20:20 EDT 1998

Hi Dave,

Pertaining to your comment:

"I also don't think
 its good ethics to leave a "run" freq open for 2 or 3 minutes and then
 expect to get the run freq back if its now being used.  This happened to me
 twice in the CQ 160 SSB..in one case I was on my 5th contact when the other
 station tried to take back the freq.  You just can't turn up the volume and
 start again on a freq like that..... bad ethics and terrible sportsmanship!"

In any major contest, this same event seems to happen to me at least a
couple of times.  I will come on an empty frequency, announce "QRL?" not
once but twice.  If I hear nothing, I will start cq'ing.  A couple minutes
later someone will start cq'ing on top of me, sometimes even announcing I
am on his frequency.  At this point I will normally battle for that
frequency and I usually don't even care if neither of us work anybody
while we fight it out for 5 or 10 minutes.  I also use two radios some of
the time, but I will not try to claim a frequency which I've left and someone
else has begun to use while it was vacant.  Operators who do otherwise
are either very sloppy, not interested in ethical competition, or perhaps
half asleep.  (Two or three big name ops have done this to me - I prefer
to think that they were suffering from fatigue.)

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com