[CQ-Contest] Zero-point QSO's in CQWW

Jim George, N3BB N3BB at easy.com
Mon Nov 16 23:01:11 EST 1998

Being in Texas, we get a lot of US calls in a DX contest.  When the bands
are good to DX and you have a good DX pile up calling you, the US stations
generally don't call.  And when they do, you usually can pick out the call
of a DX station. In this past SSB CQWW, when the times were slower and the
US folks started to call a lot, I found it really helpful to comment in a
nice tone of voice that I was looking for DX because we didn't get credit
for the US stations, however if anyone needed me for a mult, that was fine.
It took only a moment to make this comment, and practically no one called
from the US.  It helped my run rates, and seemed to go over well.  I
honestly believe that the bulk of the US stations calling are not aware at
all that they are a no-credit QSO.  At any rate, it made me feel better and
seemed to make the scene a bit more pleasant.  For the stations which
called, I logged them.  :-)

BTW, again, my kudos to N8BJQ for the rules change which gives QSO point
credit for in-country QSOs for the WPX.  That's going to level the playing
field in that one and encourage USA stations away from the coasts to be
more active.  Thanks, Steve.

73,  Jim  N3BB/5

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com