[CQ-Contest] The HS0AC CQWW story

Fred Laun K3ZO aalaun at ibm.net
Wed Oct 28 22:11:43 EST 1998

I am putting the HS0AC CQWW Phone 1998 story on here because I think it
will be of interest to the readers.

Please note that ALL of the HS0AC operators this time were Thai nationals.
As time goes on we hope to get more and more of the 175,000 Thai hams into
contesting.

73, Fred, K3ZO (HS0ZAR)

                          HS0AC in 1998 CQWW SSB

          Thailand Group 1996 was thrust by HS0AC's station manager (HS1RU)
to operate in 1998 CQWW SSB contest. Planing was start, station need setup,
Operating category was selected to Multi-single because of we have
constrain on of operator's skill and equipment. We take more four weeks for
renovate all equipment at HS0AC station. A couple weeks before contest
non-rotator TH7 was fixed to north on the first tower, second tower is
rotate able A3S and third tower was used for dipole wires supported. A week
before contest we got 2 TS-940S from PTD inspector, so we now have rigs for
working contest. Operating plan start, we looking for experience contester
to help us, K3ZO make a plan for us. Two Days before contest we got new
information, PTD will give a temporally permitted to operate on 80 and 160
meters band but no confirm document. We know everyone waiting for 80 and
160 confirm from HS, So 40 meters half wave dipole was replaced by new
multi band trap dipole and new inverted V 40 meters half wave dipole were
fixed on Friday afternoon just 1 day before contest.
           Saturday morning we started contest with slow rate in first 2
hours only 20 stations worked, In third hour electricity shut down,
everybody feel bad. We try to contact concerned people he said shutdown is
emergency and not take long time. Half a hour later electricity come back
and we tried to work again, very good luck, propagation go up and we gain
rate after electricity back, On 0300z we got IC-781 rig, we change from
TS-940S to IC-781, 2-TS-940S were placed as stand by unit. After 4 hours
pass with good QSO rates, target was set up to 960,000 points as HS0AC done
on 1991 CQWW CW.
           Our QSO rate goes up during daytime, we got more than 800 QSOs
on Saturday. Bad news on Saturday night we have checked with HS1RU before
operated on 80 and 160 meters, he said PTD was not give us a permitted.
           Sunday daytime 10 meters band was opened it very wonder we
worked major on 10 meters band. Final QSO on 10 meters is more than 800
QSOs, higher than other band.
           We finished contest with 1,810 QSOs and raw score about
1,300,000 points. We tried to find the remaining zone on Sunday but it was
not success, we got maximum 32 zones on 20 meters band and total zone all
bands about 35 zones. Anywhere our target is met on QSO points.

HS0AC 1998 CQ WW SSB Team and Equipment:

          Station Manager: HS1RU
          Assist. Station Manager and team leader: HS1CKC
          Planer: K3ZO/HS0ZAR
          QSL Manager: HS0/G3NOM
          Operator and Logging: HS1CKC, HS0GBI, E21EIC, HS1BZY, HS0VGC,
                      HS6NDK, and HS6MYW
          Transceiver: IC-781, TS-940S
          Antenna: A3S at 24m. , TH7 at 18m. Fixed north, Multi-band trap
dipole and 40 meters half wave dipole (Inverted V)
HS0GBI
Oct 26,98

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com