[CQ-Contest] Club competition question

wu4g at pipeline.com wu4g at pipeline.com
Fri Oct 30 07:31:45 EST 1998

After seeing much discussion of Local vs Medium and the new 35 mile rule
change for Local come next year, I still feel somewhat confused about the
classifications.

We are a "local" group that has 2 or 3 members that live farther than 35
miles from the clubs center.  They joined because there were no other
contesters in their rural communities and they support us via the
PacketCluster.  My question is:

Are we a LOCAL category club with 2 or 3 members who are ineligible to
participate in the club competition because they live outside the 35 mile
limit?

OR

Are we a MEDIUM category club because we have 2 or 3 members outside the
LOCAL 35 mile limit, but are still ineligible to participate in the club
competition because it is too inconvenient for them to attend meetings?

The rules specifically allow Medium and Unlimited clubs to have members
outside their mileage limits but only those who live within are eligible to
participate.  Local rules don't indicate same, thus apparently making them a
"Catch-22 Medium".

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com