[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] 10M Antenna Notes

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an at contesting.com
Thu Apr 1 17:35:18 EST 1999

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Dick Green wrote:

> > I'll also throw in another note from ARRL DX CW, where the 7 element yagi
> > at 120' was much better than the 5/5 or the low 7 element to JA due to
> > band noise.  Both the 5/5 and the low 7 (both antennas having
> > about the same average height) produced "crud" at about S-5 to S-7 levels.
> > Switching to the high antenna completely eliminated this noise.  A big
> > difference.
>
> So, what was the source of the noise? Was it man-made electrical stuff in
> the JA direction, and the extra height put you above it, or was it
> atmospheric noise coming from the direction at high angles? None of the
> above?

LB was asking me the same question.  I know it is propagated noise,
because when the band closes, the noise goes away.  It basically sounds
like I have a really hot pre-amp installed and the noise floor is S5 or
more.  It does not sound like man made noise.

I do not always notice it, but when I do... it is always from a western
direction.  I never notice the same affect to the east or northeast.  I
also did not notice it in WPX SSB, but we didn't have an opening to JA on
10 meters this weekend.

Maybe some propagation expert or someone with more experience with the
radio can clue us in on the source.

73

Bill Fisher, W4AN

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com