[CQ-Contest] Contesters detained?- DXpeditioner curse

v31jp at logical123.net v31jp at logical123.net
Fri Apr 2 10:30:32 EST 1999

Robert Naumann wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> You make a good point.
>
> This should serve as a warning to those travelling with their radios to make
> yourselves look as much like a tourist and have your luggage look as
> "normal" as possible.

This has always been a point to abide by, look touristy.

> I recently came through customs in Miami with my TS850 "hidden" inside my
> wheeled carry on bag and had no problem whatsoever.  In contrast,
> previously, when transporting a radio (a 940) in it's original cardboard
> box, I was stopped and had to open everything I had and let the customs
> folks talk it over and I almost missed my connecting flight back to Dallas.

Cardboard boxes are a No No! I recently upgraded from an FT-990 to
the FT-1000MP. I carry my gear, now, in the Pelican 1650 cases.
These happen to be one of the preferred cases used, also, by fellow
SCUBA divers. To avoid hassles by customs, take your equipment
list with serial numbers and the equipment to U.S. Customs before
you depart and they will certify this list and attach it to their form.
When you return, if asked, show them these documents and there
is seldom any problems. These forms, many times, help when you
go into the foreign country.

Though, my Callbook CD is a '97, I did not find either of these two
fellows names in there.

--
73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly
Joe Pontek