[CQ-Contest] WPX then and now

DougKR2Q at aol.com DougKR2Q at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 14:30:36 EDT 1999

Hi all:

I don't know exactly how meaningful this is, but I compared my "winning" 1992
wpx ssb effort with my 1999 effort.  Both are for SOAB QRP.  Here is what I
found.

1.	QSO's then:	916
	QSO's now:	1137

2.	PX then:		557
	PX now:		557 (cool, huh?)

3.	Score then:	1.2 meg
	Score now:	1.8 meg

4.	USA PX then:	138	24.7%
	USA PX now:	114	20.5%

5.	USA QSO then:	143	15.4%
	USA QSO now:	164	14.4%

6.	QSO Breakdowns by band:
	160	then:	0
	160	now:	7

	80		then:	30
	80		now:	47

	40		then:	11	(160 dipole fed with ladder line: 24
pts)
	40		now:	86	(2 ele yagi @ 72 feet: 486 pts)

	20		then:	270
	20		now:	268

	15		then:	413
	15		now:	419

	10		then:	202
	10		now:	310

Looking at the logs, it is clear that USA "vanity" calls have reduced the
"two by one" PX's available/active.  Did more guys stay away because they
didn't have a "neat call" any more?  Doing the math (crudely, not precisely),
it looks a wash for my score.  More USA PX times overall points would about
balance the reduced USA PX's with 1 point each.  So the big difference was
hardware (40m).  What does this mean?  I still had lots of fun and didn't
bother to think about points or PX's during the contest...just work (and log)
'em all...like I have always done.

So....any of the BIG BOYS analyze their logs for "before and after?"

de Doug KR2Q

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com