[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

v31jp at logical123.net v31jp at logical123.net
Fri Apr 16 07:45:35 EDT 1999

Pedro,

I agree with Guy. I have had the option of both the 250 Hz & 500 Hz
filters. When the pile up is thick, the 250 Hz is a necessity. I have gone
to the wider filter and have work some fellas twice, once when they
were working the station below me and again when they got on my
frequency. I found the 250 Hz filter helps me zero beat the stations
I am calling, as it narrows down my window of zero beat choice. I
keep hearing the statements about using the filters between the ears.
The problem with this filter is it does not keep your AGC from being
pumped up by the guy calling someone just off your frequency and the
weak guy who is on your frequency is now down in the mud. Do I
miss the guys calling me off frequency because my filter is narrow,
probably a few. But I miss less of those that are calling on frequency
because of the narrow filter. God bless my RIT!

"Guy Olinger, K2AV" wrote:

> Working folks above and below the INRAD 400 hz bandpass
> is fraught with 3 qso penalty risk. If one doesn't return a call to an
> off-frequency station, they will either get on your frequency, or they  were
> working someone else.  The residue that can't figure out how to work you on
> your frequency aren't worth the risk.
>
> 73, y'all.
> Guy.

73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly
Joe Pontek
26441 Devaney Road
Arcadia, IN 46030
USA
317-984-7388
K8JP, V31JP, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, K8JP/VA2, ex-K8HKM
Read "The Contest Traveler" in The National Contest Journal
CJ5 '65

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com