[CQ-Contest] Kudos to ARRL Contest Branch

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at radio.org
Mon Aug 9 14:33:43 EDT 1999

Since judging contests is such a thankless task, I thought I might
publically thank Dan Henderson, Dave Pruett and the ARRL Contest Branch
for their attention to detail.

I submitted a CW-only log for the ARRL 10m contest with a claimed score
of 15,352. It was a modest entry of only 103 Qs, with 3 dupes, about 6.5
hours of operation.

When I looked at the results that were recently posted in PDF, I was
surprised to find my score had been reduced to 172 (!). The listing only
showed 43 Qs, and 1 mult. Either I am a much poorer CW op than I
previously imagined, or something had gone wrong.

I sent an e-mail to Dan, who then forwarded it to Dave. Dave looked up my
scoring report, and found that an error had occurred in converting my
logs. He fixed this problem, then rescored my entry. The new score was
13,824 with 103 Qs, less three dupes, one NIL and one busted Q for a
total of 95 Qs, 36 mults.

Dan has indicated my corrected score will be posted in the feedback
column of the next QST. Dave also indicates the contest branch has
revised their procedures to verify any log that has an unusually high
number of bad QSO.

This is a terrific response to a tiny score that won't make a difference
one way or another in the standings. Dan, Dave, and the rest of the ARRL
Contest branch, I sincerely appreciate all you've done. Your efforts have
certainly made contesting better for all of us.

Thank you.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com