[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Exchange

John Downing jdowning at intelenet.net
Sat Aug 21 18:20:52 EDT 1999

The Cuba Libre Contesters at V31DX ABSOLUTELY(!) agree with Paul on
this.  Signal reports are simply meaningless with everyone handing out
59 or 599.  No copying ability is needed and they get very boring to
send.  From the DX side sending the same power output time after time is
just as meaningless and boring.  Earlier this year on the reflector I
posed a question about DX stations giving out power reports which were
correct; i.e., if we used lower power on one band or turned off the amp
during the contest.  The uniform reponse from all was "Don't confuse us
with different reports!"

Serial numbers give a sense of competition in contests - especially QSO
rate contests like the ARRL.  We like the idea a lot.  Besides it's what
casual operators nearly always assume is the exchange.

best to all,

John W2NA / V31DX
The Cuba Libre Contest Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com