[CQ-Contest] CAC Ruminations About ARRL DX Exchange

k6ll at juno.com k6ll at juno.com
Wed Aug 25 22:05:12 EDT 1999

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:29:07 -0700 (PDT) lew at teleport.com writes:

>Contesters,
>    The ARRL CAC welcomes your input. Contact your CAC Representative
>make your voice heard. The discussion is looking at possible changes
>the ARRL DX Exchange. Possibilities include:
>  1) Its not broke..so don't fix it
>  2) Change the exchange to more accurately score the log using:
>      a)IARU Zones
>      b)Grid Squares
>      c)short country abbreviations
>      d)mandating portable identifiers on stations out of their call
>area
>  3) Change the exchange to eventually go to a distance based scoring
>mechanism while keeping the  US/VE works Dx & DX works US/VE concept

Distance-based scoring would make the contest a lot more interesting
and a lot more fair for stations who are in a geographically-
challenged location.

I presume the current scoring system of qso's x countries or
qso's x states/provinces would be maintained, and there would
be some qso point adjustment for each contact based on distance.

For US/VE stations, they could continue to send their state or
province, and the population center of the state could be used
as the US/VE measuring point for the distance calculation. The
states and provinces would continue to be used as multipliers
for DX stations.

For DX, IARU zones would definitely work with a minimum of
hassle for the distance measuring point.

Grid squares for DX would be more precise, but may represent
an unnecessary confusion factor for casual DX participants. Is
the grid-square concept widely understood and used in DX
countries? If so, it may be the best answer.

Mandating portable identifiers for DX, and trying to figure
out a distance measurement point from the callsign would present
too many complications, I think. I recently saw a callsign
map of China, for example, and there were a zillion different
call areas. I think it would be impossible to keep that all
straight.

I say give it a try! Keep the current exchange for US/VE and have
the DX send 5nn zone or 5nn gridsquare.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
K6LL at juno.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com