[CQ-Contest] New Grid Square Contest rules?

Robert L. Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Wed Aug 25 19:33:30 EDT 1999

Douglas A. McDuff wrote:

> At 10:44 AM 08/24/1999 -0700, Robert L. Shohet wrote:
>
> >The real question is
> >whether there is a group of guys out there or a radio club who is
> >willing to give this a try?  I guess it is too much to ask for ARRL or
> >CQ sponsorship, but that IMHO would clearly "Put it over the top".
> >
> >Is there anyone out there willing to give this a shot?
>
> Hi Bob, et. al.,
>
> Although I do not yet have a consensus from the members of the Florida
> Contest Club (FCC), I have suggested to the members that we consider
> sponsoring such an event.  While I await the official tally, I would
> appreciate input as to preferred format, etc., to assist in our
> decision.  On a personal note, my initial thinking would be in terms of a
> 24 hour event, mixed mode.
>
> Thanks & 73 de Doug W4OX / KG4OX, President Florida Contest Club (K4FCC)

Outstanding Doug!

IMHO here are the two format's that I think might be best:

24 hour Mixed mode format  SOAB HP, LP & QRP, unassisted or packet

Work everyone once per band mode 10-160
CW and SSB qso's count the same

Score = are gridsq - gridsq distance (pts) x # of gridsquares (mult)
(I like this best)

OR

Score = gridsq - gridsq points (like Stew Perry)

I strongly believe that we should go with the first scoring format AND
have a multiplier for the low bands as follows:

40 meters  grids * 1.25
80 meters  grids * 1.5
160 meters grids * 2.0

This will really get the low bands humming, increase all-band activity
and really challenge the operators to be everywhere at once (Isn't that
the whole idea?)

Now if you really want to make this a wild operating event (I'm getting
excited thinking about it) then let's add a SO Unlimited category where
SO ops can operate M/M with multiple txmitters and packet.  This would
cause q-rates and scores to explode and make a lot more q's for everyone
which of course would encourage still more people to operate longer and
increase activity even more.

I can hear some heads shaking now at the last suggestion but WHY NOT
have an "all-out" category for those who just want to have a wild time?
There ought to be at least one contest where this is allowed!  Why not
make it this one?

I hope that your club is as psyched as I am.

73

Bob KQ2M

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com