[CQ-Contest] Sleep deprevation

John T. Laney, III K4BAI at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 2 09:31:37 EST 1999

Hi Bill:  I have experienced the inability to send those letters
beginning in the late 1980s in 48-hour operations.  The worst to try to
send is the slash bar -..-. for me, at least.  This year with a
three-man M/S operation from 8P9Z, I did get a little sleep and it
wasn't so bad, but Sunday AM I was having trouble sending with my new
paddle and even asked Dan (K1TO/8P9EU) if he thought there was something
wrong with it (he didn't).  About two hourse of sleep cured that and I
was good for the rest of the contest.  I think we lose the fine
movements with our hands as we get older and the sleep deprivation just
temporarily increases the problem.

I agree it is very frustrating not to be able to send perfect CW when
you want to with a paddle.  If it ever gets to be a constant problem, I
will probably go to using a keyboard all the time.

73, John, K4BAI/8P9HT.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com