[CQ-Contest] Sleep deprivation

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 16:17:36 EST 1999

Eating carbohydrates causes blood sugars to rise and then fall. Those who
tend toward hypoglycemia, have radical falls that cause extreme fatigue and
even light headed-ness. For most, the dissipating carbos is what causes the
drowsiness.

Contest food should be high in protein (meat, cheese, nuts) and very low in
carbs. This keeps you pretty stable. The downside is going too far on
limiting carbs and putting yourself into ketosis. That can give you raging
headaches and leg cramps. The solution is to drink lots of water, which, of
course, leads to another problem during contests.

I don't know how we successfully contested for so many years on chocolate
chip cookies, candy and tacos!

Tom, K5RC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com