[CQ-Contest] moving mults

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at radio.org
Tue Dec 7 10:51:25 EST 1999

On 12/7/99 1:49, henry at henry at pacinfo.com wrote:

>I get the concept of moving mults to another band to get more points, but
>I'm having a bit of a tought time visualizing the actual process.
>
>This is what I understand to happen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>ME: UR 5 THANKS, COULD YOU MOVE TO 21 228?
>
>MULT: QSL
>
>MULT (ON 21228): CQ TEST

More than likely, the mult won't call CQ TEST, but will call you (or more
likely, you will call him).

>ME: UR 59 TNX
>
>This seems like we both loose what ever frequency we were on.

That's a distinct possibility.

> If I had a
>run frequency on the 1st band, I don't when I try to come back to it after
>working the mult I moved. If the mult had a run freq., it's gone when s/he
>trys to go back.

If you use two radios, chances of losing a run frequency are somewhat
diminished. Of course, even with two radios, you can only transmit one
signal at a time. But you can keep the run frequency occupied while you
listen for the mult on another band.

>Did I miss something here? When do I try to move multi.s? When I'm s&p ing,
>or running? How do I deal with giving up my run frequency?

Generally you'll move stations when you are running. You can certainly
try to move stations when S & Ping, but you are much more likely to get
negative responses.

As for giving up your run frequency -- you'll have to live with that
possibility. Part of the challenge behind moving mults is knowing which
ones are worthwhile to move -- ones that you aren't likely to find on a
particular band.

There are always risk in moving mults. There's no guarantee you'll
actually work the multipler on the other band, and you may lose your fun
frequency.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com