[CQ-Contest] Noise cancelling headphones

Scott Ellington sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:29:12 EST 1999

I've used a commercial set (NRT?), advertised in QST, etc.  They are very
effect in reducing noise, but there are a couple problems.  The audio response
seems to have a big peak at very low frequencies, though an audio filter
should eliminate it.  More seriously, in order to be effective they have to
fit very tightly on your head.  After a couple hours, that gets very
uncomfortable and hot.  When I can't stand it any longer, I switch to a
conventional headset, until I can't stand THAT any longer.  However, even if I
only wear the noise-cancelling headset half the time, my ears don't ring
nearly as much when the contest is over.

73,  Scott  K9MA

--
Scott Ellington
Madison, Wisconsin   USA