[CQ-Contest] Re: Rotten QRM (to quote TOM)

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Dec 15 11:33:36 EST 1999

At 01:54 AM 12/15/1999 -0800, Tom Osborne wrote:

>> Henry's question leads to a related one of mine:
>>
>> If I hear a signal that sounds like cr*p, should I inform its >owner?
For example, this weekend there was a LOUD CW signal out >of 6 land that
sounded like a chainsaw with a keyer.

>Hi Henry
>
>I usually do tell them, but it usually doesn't do any good.  You
>can tune back half hour later and it still sounds the same.  73

I recall one or two cases where I heard such a signal early in the contest,
and ran across it later getting worse and worse till it finally
disappeared.  But more often it's as Tom describes.  Hard to feel too
unkindly toward them, particularly on CW, because these days it is probably
something like RF in the shack that can't be reliably fixed in real time,
makes the signal sound crappy, but doesn't affect others too much.  Now on
SSB, where all someone has to do is back off on the gain, that's quite
another story!

73,  Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the contest station database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com