[CQ-Contest] New radio/amp?

Alfred J. Frugoli KE1FO ke1fo at contesting.com
Thu Jul 22 22:22:30 EDT 1999

Hello fellow contesters.

I'm considering some changes in the shack and I'm looking for some input
from my fellow contesters.  First let me describe my current setup:

- Kenwood TS-940 with IF10B board installed and narrow CW filter
- Kenwood TS-450 with auto-tuner installed, no special filters
- Ameritron AL-80 amplifier (currently arcing for some yet to be determined
reason)
- Heath SB-230 amplifier in need of a new Power Supply
- Force-12 C4S at 70 feet
- Multiband Cushcraft vertical used only on 80M
- Computer is Pentium 230mhz running win98 and I will use WriteLog for my
contesting software

>From my home station I opeartly mostly CW and RTTY in contests but sometimes
SSB as well.  I DX on all three modes.  I generally operate casually from
home, since when I want to put in a serious effort in a major contest I tend
to go to a multi-op setting.

Through liquadating the current equipment I'd like to update, and make my
station more competitive equipment wise.  I will mainly only have the cash I
generate through the sale of equipment to buy new equipment, but some
additional might be possible with the right incentives.  Things I'd like to
gain through the upgrade if possible are:

- Upgrade to a single tranciever of newer technology.  Computer control is a
must, and interfacing with an amp (for auto band changes, etc.) in the
future would be a real plus.  DSP is not a must, but would be considered if
it's easy and practical to use in contest conditions.  If possible, I'd like
a rig that will run 150+ watts barefoot if I want to enter the LP class.
- Upgrade the amps to a single possibly higher power amp.  Auto tuning would
be WONDERFUL, but I think it will be beyond my budget right now.  (remember
here, I like to operate CW, RTTY, and SSB, so sometimes my SWR is not
optimum)
- Gain some automatic switching of antennas and possibly the ability to add
a second trabander to the tower later that can be easily switched into the
system.

I'm not looking to change the antenna system at this time unless I end up
with a lot of extra money after selling stuff and buying new equipment.  I
am very happy with my current antenna system on 10, 15, and 20, but 40 and
80 could use some work.  160 is non-existant but I don't miss it from home.

What I'm looking for from the group, is the following:

- What rig would you recommend that I could purchase within the price of
selling the two current rigs
- What amp change would you recommend (if any) to what I currently have that
would be available within the selling price of the two amps as is or
repaired.
- Can I even begin to think about automatic antenna switching at this point?

I thank you in advance for your input.

73 de Al, KE1FO

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com