No subject

vk3ajj vk3ajj at techno.net.au
Thu Jul 29 22:58:15 EDT 1999

"It really bugged me, so I asked for full calls only.  It worked great for
about 5 qso's.  Then others who never heard the announcement kept sending
last 2.  For some reason, the last twoers were the loudest, so I worked
them so I could get to some other guys."  (Chris WL7Ky wrote...)

Chris,

Can I humbly suggest that last twoers were not necessarily the strongest.
Is it not possible that your mind is much more able to focus on two letters
being constantly repeated than a full call consisting of 5 letters and one
number. If my theory is correct - that is why callers use 2 letters -
because it is a better way for them to crack a pile-up.

I agree that in most circumstances it will slow down your rate - but in
many circumstances it will speed up the rate of the caller (he cracks a
pile in 2 calls instead of 10). You are within your rights to adopt any
reasonable technique to speed up your rate (this maybe a request for "full
calls only please") but conversely the caller has every right to use every
reasonable technique to speed up his rate (using two letters). This is a
contest (ie competitive activity) afterall.

Paul (vk3ajj)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com