[CQ-Contest] 2 letters, rates, etc....

n5nj at att.net n5nj at att.net
Thu Jul 29 17:30:27 EDT 1999

Please consider the following as the desired interchange:

DX: Victor 26 Bravo (or just V26B)
NA: Kilo Echo Nine November Alpha
DX: KE9NA 59 8
NA: 59 4
DX: Victor 26 Bravo (or just V26B as appropriate)

Minimizing verbiage is good.  Wanting to be friendly is
good too, but that is not the purpose of a contest.  The
interchange that I have described does occur and I have
experienced it several times for hundreds of qsos in a
row.  When working stations at the rate of 4 to 6 per
minute or more, you need to be able to have this sort of
simple, effective protocol.

You must assume that you will not need any fills.  If
you need them, the station you are calling will let you
know.

Look at this exchange assuming some QRM:

DX: Victor 26 Bravo (or just V26B)
NA: @#$%^^*&**&$% November Alpha
(transmission was Kilo Echo Nine November Alpha)
DX: November Alpha 59 8
NA: Kilo Echo 9 November Alpha 59 4
DX: KE9NA Victor 26 Bravo (or just V26B)

The same number of exchanges as before are possible.
Minimal delay.

If the "last two" were all that was sent the following
could happen - and does:

DX: Victor 26 Bravo (or just V26B)
NA: @#$%^^*&**&$%
(transmission was November Alpha)
DX: V26B
NA: November Alpha
DX: November Alpha - your call ?
NA: Kilo Echo Nine November Alpha
DX: KE9NA 59 8
NA: 59 4
DX: V26B

Of course, you can create all sorts of scenarios where
the QRM would happen at different times, but the main
point is that the goal is to be as efficient as possible
and reduce the total time to complete a qso.  Both the
caller and the called station benefit.

If the calling station sends his entire callsign, the
greatest likelyhood of achieving a short duration QSO
exists.  Doing otherwise lessens the ability to do so.

73,
Bob

--
N5NJ / V26O