[CQ-Contest] 2 letters, rates, etc....

Barry Kutner w2up at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 29 14:49:39 EDT 1999

Guys (and gals),

Let's not forget the the bread and butter of contesting is working the
casual operator who is giving you a point. Those of us reading this
know what do do.  The hundreds of thousands of those not reading this
think last two is the way to go. Insulting them on the air won't help.
It'll just alienate them more, and give more ammunition to the "contest
haters."

Likewise, returning a QSL "not in log" months later doesn't help, as
any feedback needs to be instant to be effective. As others have
stated, the no QSL approach either is baffling, if done without an
explanation, or punitive, like sticking your foot out in front of a
blind man.

Feel free to set your own rules in the pileups, but we all know
that nobody wants to spend the time to explain the reasoning behind it
during the heat of battle. Most important, don't be insulting.

Perhaps a one page article in QST (and the Italian and Spanish
equivalents) about contesting, including contesting "etiquette" would
help.

73 Barry

On 29 Jul 99, Hans - K0HB <k0hb at arrl.org> wrote:

> Jon Ogden wrote:
> >
> > I have developed some further thoughts regarding the use of the "last 2"
> > in pileups.
> >

> Jon,
>
> To put this all in context, this is the CQ-CONTEST reflector, not the
> DX reflector.
>
> Competent contesters especially hate "last two" style operators
<snip>
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up at mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com