[CQ-Contest] VY3 prefix?

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 18:15:55 EDT 1999

In a message dated 6/1/99 12:56:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Dave_Hoaglin at abtassoc.com writes:

<<
 In WPX CW I worked VY2MGY/3, and my logging program logged the prefix
 as VY3.  Is VY3 currently a valid prefix for Canada?  Should I assume
 that the station was portable in Ontario and treat the prefix as VE3?

As far as WPX rules go, it should count for VY3.
As far as proper use of the call VY2MGY/3 I am not sure. It is between that
operator and Industry Canada. Canadians can use, when authorized variety of
prefixes that are allocated to Canada. So VE3 could be VY3. VY3 is not
regular Ontario prefix, only VE3 and VA3 are in use so far. According to my
interpretation, he should be really signing VY2MGY/VE3 or /VA3. But with the
liberal interpretation and changes in the rules, one never knows.
So for WPX purpose, we got VY2MGY/3 and according to WPX rules that
translates to VY3 prefix.
I had interesting argument when applied for VA1A, IC said that VA prefix can
not be issued for the operation in the US. I had to do lot of explaining that
I am Canadian, with Canadian calls and will operate from Nova Scotia.
Whata a fun on 160m! Dead vacant band, everyone was on higher bands chasing
low pointers, while this six pointer was CQing his head off.
Very strong vote for moving this CW contest one month up, away from the
holiday weekend and into better propagation month.
Thanks to all those who had a mercy and gave me a point!

73 Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY
Tesla RC: N2EE, NT1E, VA1A (QSL via K3BU)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com