[CQ-Contest] Cut Number Solution

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av at qsl.net
Thu Jun 3 19:38:43 EDT 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:00:38 +0100, you wrote:

>There is a good solution for this Cut Number Problem
>
>While working the WPX this last week-end it was obvious to me that a
>continent had problems with cut numbers while amazingly other continents did
>not experience the same problem in such an evident way.

You don't REALLY believe that do you? Two reasons why you shouldn't:

1) Don't equate frequency of problems with frequency of verbal
expression regarding problems. In social science related statistical
studies, that is a prime rookie mistake. To speak up or not speak up
(to ask for correction is speaking up in some mindsets) is influenced
by all kinds of local or cultural aspects. In some cultures it is
considered polite and advanced to "absorb" the mistakes of others, or
presume one's own error first, and not impose on another's time or
effort. In such a situation, a person may listen to you send cut
numbers over the next several qso's to get (by inference) his own
right.

2) Judging by who posts on this listserve, you would hear North
American complaints almost exclusively. I wouldn't expect to hear
large numbers of European complaints on *anything*, because there
aren't large numbers of Europeans on the listserve in the first place.
Not that they aren't welcome, they certainly are...

>I am about to ask K1EA to implement a new command for CT
>
>NOCWABBREVCO
>
>where CO is the continent of your choice.
>
>;-)
>
>Vy 73
>Jose - CT1BOH
>http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh