[CQ-Contest] July CQ out

K4tmc at aol.com K4tmc at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 17:07:20 EDT 1999

Stopped by the PO box this morning after being out of town on business all
week and found the latest CQ along with the July Tech America sales catalog
(see below).

Front cover photo of K1ZZ, Dave Sumner, at W1AW.  The normal writeup on the
Contents page is the most I've seen in years!  Can we expect this much space
on future cover photos?

Contest related items:
1998 CQ WW CW Contest High-Claimed Scores
Rules - 99 CQ/RJ WW RTTY DX Contest
Contest Calendar column - Is There Ever Enough Log Checking?
Propagation column - Sunspot Cycle 23 Less Intense Than Expected

Other interesting items:
How To Homebrew Your Own Electronic Keyer
Split Meteor Scatter Signals
Resurrecting the Hallowed Hartley (build an antique wireless transmitter)
Custom Potentiometers From Your Junk Box
Those Unsung Radio Maestros - Part II
DX Column - North Korea

Cushcraft has a full page ad for their new MA5B ("THE DIRECTOR") HF multiband
(10, 12, 15, 17, 20M) beam.
Alpha Delta has a 4 page ad on their HF 1/4 wave slopers.
AES has a full-page ad with their list of used and demo equipment for sale.

Re the Tech America catalog.  Page 31 has Rohn 48 ft. self-supporting tower
for $399.95 (shipping cost extra).  The text says it is the extra heavy-duty
tower with 18 sq. ft. antenna capacity.  Page 31 is the "overstocks,
closeouts, clearance" page and indicates that there are limited quantities
and no backorders!  This is around $200 less than other prices I have noted.
Their toll-free number is 800-877-0072 and they are located in Ft. Worth, TX,
with other stores in Denver, Phoenix, and Atlanta.  Note - I have no
connection with Tech America or Rohn, nor am I mad at any other Rohn dealer.
Just though that this was a great deal for those who may be looking for a
tower in preparation for the upcoming contest season.

73 and good reading,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com