[CQ-Contest] Improved log checking

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Mar 4 11:30:09 EST 1999

At 12:46 PM 3/3/99 -0800, n6tr at teleport.com wrote:
>So - I can speak to this - at least in terms of the SS contest.  As
>some of you know, Trey and I have been implementing a new checking
>process for the SS contest.
>
>The software used is very similar to the log checking software used
>for the sprint contests - however, totally rewritten for the SS.
>
>The software attempts to do everything we can think of to not create
>inappropriate NIL QSOs.  It can be very complicated.
>Trey and I are going to work on some NCJ articles to talk about some
>of the changes - and interesting results from them.  For those of you
>who submitted electronic logs, a report file will be made available
>detailing exactly how your log was scored.  I understand these will
>be distributed through the ARRL web page.  An announcement will be made
>to this reflector when they are available.

I can't resist commenting. This is one of the more heartening developments
in my 4th decade of contesting.  Nothing will do more for the health of the
sport than credible log checking in all the major contests.  It will be
particularly good if consistent methods are applied across the board.  I
was startled to see a reference to someone's receiving a UBN report for a
WPX log -- that's terrific!

Fervent thanks to Tree and Trey for a major contribution to our sport.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr at contesting.com

Loud is.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com