[CQ-Contest] Log checking--report of collateral damage?

JBaumgarte at aol.com JBaumgarte at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 17:47:31 EST 1999

Bob,

I'm really sorry to see you go as I (we) all appreciate the many part timers
that make the contests successful.  If you read all the postings on this,
however, you will see that the push for this is not by the ARRL staffers, but
the contesters themselves.  All we want is credit where credit is due, and,
hopefully, a reduction of the slipshod logging practices some practice.
Surely, lots of effort goes into finding cheaters, but it is a lot less
prevalent than you might think, and, every once in a while, they do get one.
I also believe you are incorrect about no one wanting their logs checked.  I
have entered every SS, both modes, for over 40 years, and I welcome checking.
How can I hope to improve my technique if I don't know that I have made
mistakes?  I'm a little embarrassed about my 3+% error rate, but you can be
sure I'll be trying to improve on that.  It's true we are all in this for fun,
but after putting in an exhausting (to me) 24 hour effort, I would like to
know that my entry is being judged equitably.

73
John, N0IJ

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com