[CQ-Contest] Log Scrubbage

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 9 00:17:17 EST 1999

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 09:00:59PM -0700, Matt--K7BG wrote:

> >> I see one thing which could possibly solve this dilemma. For all stations
> >> wishing to compete for Top 10 status, make it mandatory for these
> >> stations to
> >> email their log within 2 hours after the end of the contest. No
> >> editing,,, no
> >> perusing...just the real thing as it happened. Then, the
> >> log-checkers who wish
> >> to give up their lives for the sake of 100% accuracy, have at it,
> >> and may the
> >> best set of ears and DSP-equipped stations win.
> >>

> >Hey! what a great idea, how about 10 minutes? Wonder if some stations would
> >start taking their off times at the end. This also will increase the
> >post-contest excuses. I had problems with the rotator plus the phone wasn´t
> >working!
> >
> >Ernesto Grueneberg - LU5CW
>
> Of all the shouts and torch bearers calling for  K5GA to cease and desist
> with his opinions, this is the first response (I've seen) addressing the
> very good point he (K5GA) made regarding expeditious log mailings.
> Interesting that it came from the LU section.  Ten minutes sounds good to
> me. Get up from the chair. Quaff that last half can of warm, flat Dr.
> Pepper. Empty the bed-pan. Get back and e-mail my log. Seriously, what good
> reason does anybody have for any other protocol?  Send that sucker in! No
> time to scrub-a-dub-dub.

    WP3R is the obvious counter-example.  Last I heard, this station
(which was used to win ARRL Sweepstakes CW) didn't even have a toilet,
let alone Internet access.

    What about the DXpedition stations?  Or the rovers in VHF contests?
How about the QRP Portable types camping out on some mountaintop 500 miles
from home?  The family with a teenager and only one phone line?

    Why should having an Internet connection in the shack be at all related
to radio contesting?  Why should we expect people to have a computer, even?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com