[CQ-Contest] Hear and be heard

Dale L. Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sat Mar 13 12:59:20 EST 1999

>Aside from cooperation from callers, it seems to me the most
important
>thing an operator can do (besides signing every time) is to work
on always
>getting a call, complete or partial, out of the first wave of
callers.
>Nothing causes a pileup to degenerate into chaos faster than for
callers to
>see that the op who calls last is rewarded with a QSO.  If you
absolutely
>can't get anyone out of the pile, it's better to wait and call
QRZ again
>than to pick up someone who "tailends" the pileup.

At XA5T, I picked a few off that way by just waiting out the
pileup when I couldn't get a call or at least three or four of
the prefix/suffix characters (I purposely tried to stay away from
saying something like "oscar--november-juliet - 59 k" for fear of
encouraging sufixing.....).

I didn't notice much in the way of deterioration of the pileup
ettiquite or courtesy by picking off the late-callers.  When I
could, I would certainly pick off the first wave, but that was
sometimes impossible.

I think the only danger is that the late caller may find himself
calling when you are transmitting and, thus may cause
interference to the receiving station.  But, that may be
inconsequential.

>One of the best exercises I have found is to listen to some of
the pileup
>recordings that are available at sites like contesting.com, and
"copy
>along" with great ops like CT1BOH.  You can really get a sense
of what it
>takes.

I'll go do that, thanks....maybe I should have done so BEFORE the
ARRL DX SSB.  :-)

>73, Pete Smith N4ZR
>n4zr at contesting.com
>
>Loud is.