[CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring

Dave_K9NX n7ex at athenet.net
Sun Mar 14 12:51:04 EST 1999

At 02:58 PM 3/13/99 -0500, 00tlzivney at bsuvc.bsu.edu wrote:

>I am now getting ready to put some 220v in the shack - the shack is
>about 125 feet from the main breaker box.  I have 400amp service with
>a number of extra knockouts in the subpanel attached to the main box
>that I could put more circuits on.  The question is:
>
>Should I run two 220v, 20amp circuits and two 120v, 20 amp circuits,
>each 125 feet long, from the main subpanel OR have a separate subpanel
>put in in the shack (probably a 60 amp) and run short runs to the rig?
>I assume I could more easily run the four 10 gauge romex from the main
>subpanel than install the big stuff for the 60amp subpanel.  Also, I
>may want to get a pro in; if so, any idea which SHOULD be cheaper so
>I can bargain intelligently?   Which should be better electrically?

Terry'

For my money I'd run one  220V circuit for the amp by itself and one 120V
circuit for everything else, both #10. My logic has always to run the amp
on a seperate circuit you get better voltage regulation at the far end that
way. A sepearte 60Amp service is probably overkill although handy to have
the breaker box in the shack, also a lot more expensive.

Dave
K9NX

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com