[CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 09:49:47 EST 1999

Proceed with caution, amateur electricians. Yep, we've all done it and most
have "gotten away" with doing our own power wiring. Consider the following,
however.
If you do not use a licensed electrician your installation may not meet local
codes and, if there is a problem (like a fire) you insurance company will
likely disallow any claims.

Our house was wired by a weekend handyman who got an electrician to sign off
the job without looking at it (of course we weren't told that when we bought
it). Last winter and underground splice (not to code) shorted and caught on
fire, burning up the mains and the phone line. The tab to fix just that was
$21K. The insurance company said "sorry Charlie," no pay.

Tom, K5RC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com