[CQ-Contest] ARRL Info

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer at gnlp.com
Sat Mar 20 10:32:14 EST 1999

Certainly anyone with web access should go to the horse's mouth (and not
listen to me!)

The ARRL website's SITE INDEX brings one quickly to the 1999 ARRL DX
page and the correct information.  However, as I discovered recently
(after being challenged about the existence of contest-specific
addresses), if one did a SEARCH on "contest", lots of links appeared
with the very first one to the ARRLDX Contest.  How convenient, I
thought.  Unfortunately, it's to the 1997 contest!

Some (at the league) took one of my posts as I had intentioned and even
asked for my help in finding the elusive "bad" information. I told them
of my "discovery".  Dan, N1ND told me he wasn't aware of all the old
pages still lingering on their web site (and waiting to be "found" when
searching).  He said they were going to purge them.  Others took offense
to my post; I guess I should have filled it with smiley emoticons.  I
hate those things :o).

Today, the Search on "contest" no longer brings up the ARRL DX 1997
contest as the first hit (I checked - the URL is gone!) although I
imagine there will be plenty of other pages for them to purge. Fun.

73
Mike N2MG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com