[CQ-Contest] SS scoring and points

n5nj at att.net n5nj at att.net
Thu Mar 25 18:40:28 EST 1999

In general, I side with Tree on the way the logs are
being analyzed and I really enjoyed finding out what
mistake I made and truly appreciate the work he has done
to make this all better.  However, I think Jim's point
here is valid.

In my log, 4.1% error rate, had 8 busted callsigns out
of 1180 or so and I don't remember "guessing" at any of
them.  I copied them wrong plain and simple.  It was not
a conscious decison to do so, but an error in copying.
In fact, in many cases, I asked for numerous repeats
when I was unsure of the call.  In these cases, I should
have been unsure but was not.  Does this mean that even
when you think you have it right, you should check it
again and ask for a repeat ?  Where would it end ?

Shouldn't just no credit be enough ?  I don't understand
the penalty part any longer.  Having any of them removed
is penalty enough for me.  If there is a log that
demonstrates a wilful disregard for getting the calls or
information right, then perhaps a penalty should be
imposed up to and including DQ.

With the comprehensive system now analyzing the logs,
anyone "padding" the log with bad QSOs will be caught
and in my opinion should be DQed.  What's the threshold
for determining when a guy is padding ?  I'm not sure,
but I would think it would place him far above average
in bad qsos.

73,
Bob N5NJ (ck 73)
--