[CQ-Contest] New WPX Rules...

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 16:47:03 EST 1999

In a message dated 3/29/99 6:04:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Jan.E.Holm at telia.se writes:

<< Yes I told you so. Long live the American QSO party.
 It sure isn´t the cq WORLD WIDE wpx contest any
 more.
 As somebody once said: go head make my day. In
 this case you Americans sure did.

 de SM2EKM

 Ps: America RULES in many ways. >>

Please don't take this personally, but I have operated WPX and CQWW from
Europe and from the USA, and I can tell you unequivocally that Europeans have
a huge advantage in both contests.

Not only do you have a wealth of prefix multipliers, but there are almost
unlimited out-of -country contacts.  For example, as DA1AM, I put up a 40M
inverted L only 10M above the ground for 160M and worked 33 multipliers
effortlessly.  Asian, North American, and African were readily available on
all other bands.  I placed in the top 10 in the world at the QRP level in
1991, and only a computer castrophe kept me from a world top ten finish in WPX
in 1992 at the low power level.  Now, mind you,  this was with a single
transceiver and only TWO low wire antennas used on all bands.

I have been a long-time advocate of making the ten call districts of the USA
as country multipliers to make the contest more like it is in Europe.  Those
of you who haven't operated from Europe, trust me, it is wonderful!!!!

Please don't complain.  I will trade QTHs with you any time!

Paul, KB8N
Deep in the heart of Texas

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com