SV: [CQ-Contest] New WPX Rules...

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Mar 30 16:17:33 EST 1999

Jan, I also deplore the practice of encouraging stations outside Region 2
to transmit SSB below 7040, but it's not "illegal" or "forbidden."  IARU
said only that member societies should "advise" their licensees to follow
the band plan.  The band plan is not "rules and regulations."

That being said, I still don't approve of this practice.  It is presumably
a result of there being so many European stations transmitting between 7040
and 7100 who are 30-50 over S9 in Europe that the U.S. stations attempting
to "run Europeans"  feel they have no choice.

The real cure is for amateurs everywhere to lobby their local radio
administrations for an adjustment in the 40-meter band to permit us all to
share the entire allocation, or at least more of it than we do now.  Maybe
I'm remembering incorrectly, but wasn't there a proposal raised at WARC-79
to change the band to 6900-7200 in all regions, with SSB in the top (or
maybe the middle) 100 khz?

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com