[CQ-Contest] Re: [TRLog] more on out of memory warning

Tom Hammond n0ss at socket.net
Tue Mar 30 14:09:00 EST 1999

Then, K6LL wrote:

>You should at least have LOADHIGH SMARTDRV C+
>in there. I don't know if it will help your
>memory problem, but it will speed up response times.

ABSOLUTELY.  Last year (1998) at our V31TP operation for
the ARRL DX CW contest, we did NOT have SMARTDRV loaded
and it (literally) took 12-15 seconds, maybe longer, to
save our 5,000 line log to the backup disk... time we
should have been spending making Q's instead of sending
-...-'s to hold the freq while it was saving.

This year (thanks to K6LL's same suggestion about 9 months
ago), our backup saves went almost completely unnoticed
by the operators, even those of us who operated last year
and were 'waiting' for the 'event' to occur.

WOW!  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Shoulda known!

Actually, you should probably use:

       LOADHIGH SMARTDRV C+ A+ /U

if you're gonna do backups to drive A:.  The '/U' tells
SMARTDRV to NOT load the CD-ROM caching module.

If you can't find SMARTDRV in a Win95/98 system, it can
be copied from an old(er) DOS 6.x diskette.  Probably
best ot place it in C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
and then specifically direct DOS to look for it there:

   LOADHIGH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SMARTDRV C+ A+ /U

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com